Besides writing screenplays, Blake Snyder has written a book titled “Save the Cat.” The book’s original intent was to help people write screenplays, but it has subsequently been adopted as a resource for authors in sectors as diverse as advertising and nonfiction. Blake Snyder’s Beat Sheet explained is a story plan that emphasizes what the author considers to be the 12 most important moments in a story.
I’ve found the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet to be the most helpful tool for organizing a story’s framework. It divides the traditional three-act structure into smaller, more manageable chunks, each with its own objective for the story as a whole. Following is a detailed description of Blake Snyder’s Beat Sheet Explained.
- Opening Image : An opening snapshot.
- Theme Stated : We are introduced to the central theme or lesson of the story
- Set Up [1-10]: The hero and the ‘ordinary world’ are introduced.
- Catalyst : Something happens that sets the story in motion.
- Debate [12-25]: The hero is hesitant to take action.
- Break Into Two : The hero takes up the challenge.
- B Story : The subplot kicks in, introducing a character who helps the hero in their transformation.
- Fun and Games [30-55]: The hero in the throes of their challenge or journey.
- Midpoint : The stakes are raised.
- Bad Guys Close In [55-75]: Things start going downhill for the hero.
- All is Lost : Things go from bad to worse. The hero hits rock bottom.
- Dark Night of the Soul [75-85]: Faced with defeat, the hero must reckon with their loss and how they got there.
- Break Into Three : The hero realizes a truth that’s been evading them all this time.
- Finale [85-110]: Putting their new awareness into action, the hero conquers the bad guys.
- Final Image : A snapshot that mirrors or contrasts the opening image.
Because Snyder’s sheet was designed for creating screenplays, the number in brackets next to each beat indicates how many pages it would take up in a typical 110-page screenplay.
Blake Snyder Beat Sheet Calculator
If you want to write a beat sheet for a short film but aren’t sure how many pages it should be, you can use a beat sheet calculator. Your character needs to have a compelling motivation. After all, their wants are what will shape their lives’ narratives and lead them to the final, irrevocable transformation you’ve envisioned.
Blake Snyder Beat Sheet Template Examples
Writers of screenplays are all aware that the first scene is essential. It’s crucial since it establishes the idea and draws readers in. However, getting started might be challenging, particularly if you’re just getting started. Our free Blake Snyder Beat Sheet Template was made for just such an occasion.
The free Blake Snyder Beat Sheet template pdf can help you organize your story and keep track of where you are in the plot. Writers can improve the structure of their stories by using the widely-used Save The Cat Beat Sheet. Knowing your story well and out is crucial while writing a script.
Before making your own Blake Snyder Beat Sheet template, it’s a good idea to look at some examples online. The following are a few instances of full beat sheets from well-known films. To help novelists and screenwriters maintain focus, organization, and originality when writing, we’ve included a handy template.
Save the Cat’s official website offers an extensive library of finished beat sheet templates based on well-known films.